Fall is my favorite season! Cooler weather, colorful leaves, sweaters, scarves and delicious seasonal food items are some of the reasons why I love fall. Several fall items offer amazing nutrition benefits. Here are a few foods that you should be sure to enjoy this season:
In addition to being great for fall décor, pumpkin is a great source of nutrition. Pumpkin is delicious when added to soups, smoothies and cookies.
- Great source of beta-carotene. Beta carotene is an important antioxidant that is converted into vitamin A.
- Contains beneficial dietary fiber. It can be very difficult to consume adequate dietary fiber every day. Pumpkin contains approximately 7 grams of fiber per cup!
- Also provides vitamin E and iron. Vitamin E keeps your immune system working efficiently and protects your cells from damage. Iron also supports a healthy immune system.
- One medium apple provides approximately 4 grams of dietary fiber.
- Apples contain vitamin C, which helps boost our immune system.
Sweet potatoes can be prepared in so many different ways…mashed, baked, fried or roasted. Remember to limit the sugar and marshmallows you add to this nutritious food!
- A medium sweet potato provides 400% of your daily vitamin A needs.
- Also a great source of fiber and potassium.